Montag, 2. Mai 2011

Day 1 - I am awake

It's 3:06 a.m. My body insists it's still living in Germany and communicates that by forcing the morning pee. As I stumble to the hotel room's toilet, I refuse to accept that I'll be awake in a few moments. I leave all the lights turned off to stay sleepy. On the way back I bang my foot on the door. Damn you, jetlag!

Half an hour later, I give up. After several travels to America and Asia, I know by now when it's worth to fight it and when to use the time for something else. I turn on the TV. Home shopping *zap* power work out *zap* TV preacher *zap* Osama bin Laden killed *zap* an old episode of Scrub- wait, WHAT?! As I switch back, I can't believe my eyes and ears. Apparently the US army finally got that guy. Good for them. They show the two thousand people celebrating in front of the White House. A group of Dudebros plus female counterparts are doing the infamous "USA! USA! USA!" chant that inspired countless South Park episodes and other satire. I shake my head, realizing that most of them were losing their milk teeth when 9/11 happened. To understand this, you have to realize one fact. US Americans are keen on symbols. The flag. The president. The eagle. The hamburger. Every sports team has a symbol, mostly animals, anthropomorphic creatures or some kind of fighter or warrior. The World Trade Center became such a symbol as well. And now this, the death of Osama bin Laden, will also be a symbolic date. At least this way it will be easier to remember when I set foot on US soil. *zap*

As I slowly turn down the TV, I recap yesterdays trip. The flight was tiring, as always, and US Airways didn't ease that. My seat neighbors had broken electric armrest consoles. This caused both the overhead light and the flight attendant call sign - a low pitched "ding" - to switch on and off every two seconds for about an hour. In the end, the co-captain cut some cables under the seat and moved my neighbors to new seats. In hindsight, I really appreciate the level of quality, comfort and service Lufthansa provides. Oh, and apparently my neighbor on the other side was one Rick Vito, which I didn't find out until after we landed. Not the worst thing to meet a rock musician on my way in.

There's more to come, but I want to get some exercise before breakfast, so I talk to you later, internet.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen